Thursday, May 28, 2009

When In Doubt, Flip a Coin?


My father likes to forward me articles by Harvey Mackay. This week's article was all about making choices. I found the follow section particularly interesting:

Sigmund Freud was once asked why it is so difficult for some people to make decisions. He shocked people when he said he asks them to toss a coin. He went on to explain: "I did not say you should follow blindly what the coin tells you. What I want you to do is to note what the coin indicates. Then look into your own reactions. Ask yourself: Am I pleased? Am I disappointed? That will help you to recognize how you really feel about the matter, deep down inside.

After reading through the whole article, I realized that that I have been trying to work through some obstacles/problems in my life recently- slash for like a year - and just needed to get some real direction. So I figured I should go with the idea of flipping the coin to see how my gut feels about some of this stuff.

I dig through my bag and wallet and am able to come up with a quarter. You have to agree, it is so the most superior flipping coin of the bunch. I take a deep breathe, label heads and tails accordingly and flip. In true NFL fashion I opted to let the coin fall to the floor and go with those results rather than catching the coin and flipping it onto my hand. Of course, with my luck, the coin fell to the floor and bounced --- right under my desk. Not under the desk where the feet go which is easy to retrieve, but under the desk under the set of drawers where my arm only reaches so far and apparently not far enough. So I have no idea what the answer to my flipping was. I am no closer to learning if "heads" is how I really feel or if I would have been ok with "tails" That was my only quarter at the time.

I think this is a sign. I have always been about reading signs and understanding what the world is trying to tell me. This experience is probably telling me that I shouldn't flip coins, that in fact, that would be a bit of a cop out and instead I just need to keep trudging along. I will have to do some laundry shortly - which will involve quarters - I'll see how I feel at that point about the whole flipping thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment