Monday, May 4, 2009

Slooooooow Meals

There has been a new movement at higher educational institutions to get today's young adults to appreciate a slow meal. Students have been brought up on fast food and over crowded schedules that spending a few HOURS eating a well prepared meal sounds ridiculous and unnecessary to them.

Holy Cross has fully embraced this concept
and has Slow Meals twice a month. Students must make a reservation and the cost is about $35 or three meal swipes from their meal plan. They then get to have a five course meal in the gorgeous dining hall. Cell phones and blackberries are to be turned off. A section of the hall is partitioned off for privacy. The tables are set with linens and china. Before/during each course the chef comes out and explains each dish in detail. To help support New England farmers, all the food used for these meals is locally grown.

I think this sounds like heaven. When I was at Holy Cross Sunday brunch and dinner were the meals to dawdle in Kimball. I can remember spending a few hours eating on Sundays (so long as I was able to get up early enough) just sipping on coffee and watching people. I think I may have to call on a few fellow crusaders and try and set something up here and have our own Slow Meal. Most of my meals are worth about $1 and made in the span of a few minutes...

Moral of the story....School totally gets cooler after you graduate. The Hill also went green (well greener as it is an already an arboretum) by ending tray usage in the dining hall earlier this year! Crazy. I can't imagine surviving a couple hours of brunch without the ability to load up a tray of omelet, bacon, tater rounds, coffee, juice, water, fruit, bread, etc...you can see why Sunday Brunch was my fav!

No comments:

Post a Comment