Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Oh good, Another Health Concern

Mayfair was this past Sunday. May Day is normally celebrated on May 1st, but when Harvard gets involved it becomes May 3rd.

The May Fair has tons of vendors and stands throughout the square. There were at least four different massage and/or chiropractic offices offering free consultations and whatnot. I stopped at the first as I like to check out my spine whenever I can to make sure it is still straight. (Had some scoliosis as a child - I was informed I growing too fast...) Well the doctor I got stuck with decided he was going to try and enlighten me about what was wrong with me physically. He was pointing out various quirks to my posture which he provided explanations for and supplemental each point with telling me how he could fix it. Now, I am sure he is often right in his analysis, but I think having one leg longer than the other and a turned in hip are beyond his specialty...

I will give the man credit by informing me that my head likes to sit too far forward on my neck. He claimed that this means that my head feels an extra 30 pounds on my spine. (I really didn't want to believe this, but looked up "forward head posture" and he was right --- he did neglect to point out it is extremely common in adults)

While I have no plans on going to this particular practice - the people working the booth made me feel creeped out. I do think I may have to invest some time in getting an alignment or massage in the next few weeks. The free 5 minute massage I got from another group was just so magical :)

No comments:

Post a Comment