Tuesday, May 26, 2009

mmmm meat

I never remember that three day weekends are coming up. I don't know why I can't handle this, but it is the sad truth, they surprise me every time. Memorial Day was no exception, but even though I had no plans going into the weekend, the day ended up being amazingly wonderful.

I got invited to a bbq that was co-hosted by a kickball teammate. There were 13 of us there and we went through 35 forks during the course of the afternoon as we continously stuffed our faces. Personally I ate 2 hotdogs, half a steak and half a burger. We had brats, chicken, burgers, hot dogs, chicken sausage, steak and veggie burgers. Many shared the same goal of having some of everything. I was not quite up for that challenge as I had also had brownies, cookie pie, chips, pasta salad, grilled pineapple and booze in addition to my 2 hotdogs, half a steak and half a burger. I was very full but very satisfied.



This was a picture of the first time we loaded up the grill. This was done one more time. We ate all but maybe 10%. We all clearly love eating meat!




Food was not the only thing that occupied our time, we also had a ton of outdoor activities such as football, whiffle ball, and bocce. Personal pride point - I won my first game of Bocce and then came in dead last the next round. Hey, its hard to be perfect! There may have also been bubbles, and I may have had a bit too much fun trying to blow a bubble inside a bubble. (Suds were not the right consistancy to do fancy math bubbles)

As much fun as I had at the event, I think the best part of the day happened when I got home. There is nothing like getting home after an afternoon bbq and noticing that your skin has been kissed by the sun. Just a little pink, you know, when it craves just a bit of aloe lotion. I just felt like I was home...I think we may have finally hit the warm season here. Time to be a bit more proactive about protecting the Irish half of me.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this year will be filled with bbqs. Hey I got 3 in one weekend this month - that has to be a good sign, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment