Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Don't be Dissing RI

Saw this article about Boston slang. The whole thing talks about how all these words belong to Boston and then occasionally make mention of other states that use the same lingo. No mention of Rhode Island! Honestly people. Bubbla couldn't be more RI if it tried and the article sites Wisconsin and parts of Ohio! We say wicked, jimmies, packie, bubbla, etc.

The article did provide some insight, for instance, I had no idea that other parts of the country would be confused if I asked for an elastic instead of a rubber band. Which makes me wonder what else I say that would confuse an outsider.

A few months ago I was informed that I have the strangest accent, that it was a bit of everything: RI, Boston, NY, southern, etc. Again, didn't think I spoke funny, what do I know... One girl in college loved the way I answered the phone because I would just string "ohheyhowreya?" in one big string with a huge inflection at the end. I would try and suppress it but then couldn't figure out how to say hi and just ended up stuttering a greeting. Oh well...

Conclusion: Rhode Island may have gotten the snub with this article, but know what, Boston can keep their frappes...everyone knows a good cabinet goes the best with a grinder :)

No comments:

Post a Comment