Thursday, February 5, 2009

Please Use Your Words



This sunday, prior to the superbowl gathering I attended, I had an early dinner with a few of my cousins. After dinner we were all sitting around and I got a sticker from my cousin's 17 month son. This was quite possibly the most exciting point in the evening as my other cousin had been attempting to get one from Philip for about 25 minutes with no success. Shortly after sharing, Philip became bothered by something, but words were escaping him and he had no way of expressing to mommy what he wanted. He eventually did the sign for food which his mom said meant hungry. I corrected her, by saying technically he is saying food.

I took sign language for 1.5 years at HC I know what I am talking about! (PS how much are you loving the picture I found!)

Anyways, this lead into a discussion on how I am very much convinced my future child will learn to talk early on. We will use words in my household. I would like to point out at this time that when I was six weeks old I said my first words. My parents were surprised, yelped, I tried to repeat myself but sounded a bit garbled, tried a third time (even more garbled) and then did not speak again until I was older. This fact is what is holding me to the idea that kids can speak when they are very very small, you just can't yell when it happens. It startles them.

Ok, ok, I will give that this is not a goal that I should hold onto, but at the very least, true sign language will most likely be spoken in my house. Babies are able to understand it and express themselves that way.

To end this post, I thought I would share a video of a father with a very similar goal relating to his daughter walking.


No comments:

Post a Comment