Monday, April 13, 2009

Addiction is contagious

I have been drinking coffee since 7th grade. Clearly, coffee does not stunt your growth. I began my addiction by getting jumbo ice coffees from Bess Eaton. (I believe jumbos were 64 ounces...does that sound right? maybe 32 ounces...I just can't remember)

Well anyway, I started as a fair weather friend to coffee drinking but became an addict once I began working at the beach club. Since I worked the opening shift of 8-4 I always went to grab a coffee on my way in. Then once everyone else arrived I got a second round with our daily coffee run. Nothing like two 32 ounce ice coffees (light and sweet at the time) in the span of a few hours. My daily dose of caffeine has continued ever since. Interestingly enough I did tend to give it up when I was in college mainly because I felt the coffee sucked.

The thing that my family found amusing is that neither of my parents drank the stuff. My father was a tea man and my mother enjoyed her diet coke. A few summers ago, my father began enjoying the occational iced coffee from DD while on vacation. He particularly frequented DD for this treat whenever he was in Florida, but would always go back to his usual lifestyle when returning north.

This Easter I learned that my father has come over to the dark side. He now gets an iced coffee every day on the way to work. No hot coffees for him, as he is a true Rhode Islander. I honestly never thought to get it hot until I moved to Massachusetts. My father has had to deal with my need for coffee for so long. There are times he has gone out of his way to stop at DD because he knows that I just get cranky if I can't get my fix. Well, he too is now in the club. Perhaps we will be making a few more stops from now on.

I am so proud of my dad. I knew it was only a matter time. After all, he was an avid coffee milk drinker. What is coffee milk you ask? Only the BEST drink out there!!!! Thank you autocrat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment