Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Clean Streets Cost Money

I have been slowly getting through emails in my gmail account. Honestly, I should consider un-subscribing to a few lists, I had to clear out my Google Reader because I was over a 1000 unread stories yesterday -- eeep. Yes, I am an addict.

I got around to opening the one from the Somerville Parking Office that was politely reminding me that street sweeping was starting up again. Last year they put flyers on our windshields and that same day it downpoured, so the notices were not so useful. This year, they went email. Way better and eco-friendly to boot.

Seems like the city is trying to find ways to make more money because they upped the fee for not moving your car!

"Failure to comply with street sweeping parking regulations will result in a $50 fine."

I am relatively certain it was $20 before, but maybe that was in Medford...

At least the office is nice enough to remind us why it is necessary for me to move my vehicle every 2nd and 4th Monday of the month...

Street sweeping is an essential public works activity that not only keeps the city looking cleaner, but also reduces the risk of flooding due to catch-basin clogging and storm drain back-up.

I mena, good thing the sweeping is done, I can't imagine how much worse those puddles could get if the drains weren't cleaned. As it is, one good rain and I am walking through 4 inch puddles due to all the freekin potholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment