Thursday, April 9, 2009

National Skirt Day

Yesterday when I was walking to work I felt that it would have been a great "National Skirt Day". National Skirt Day was declared each year at my undergrad. An email went out letting girls know that in a few days they were to pull their favorite skirts out of the storage bins under their beds and prance around campus in them. I was handed the honor of declaring it my senior year and hope that the person I passed it to continued on the trend.

You may be asking yourself what makes a good skirt day? Typically, the day falls in March/early April. It is that first day that temperature is not predicted to be freezing and the sun should be out. Most years there would be a frost a few days later - mainly because Worcester likes to f with you - but the holiday itself was always a gorgeous day and everyone loved that they were encouraged show some legs.

My senior year I was a bit hesitant about making the declaration because with my luck it would end up raining. But I took a deep breath and sent it out...but I started small and just sent it to my closest 75 girl friends. Coincidentally the seniors that lived on Caro decided to throw a Senior BBQ block party at same afteroon. It was such an awesome day. As more and more people made their way down the hill, I started to noticed how many girls were wearing skirts. Eventually people who I barely knew started to come up to me to tell me that the email had been forwarded to them like 5 times, one girl even took a cab to the mall to buy a skirt because she didn't have one here. Oh the power of Skirt Day!

My guy friends were playing corn-hole and made a side comment to me about how all the girls looked great that afternoon. I told them about my email, I was profusely thanked. :)

In the end, I miss National Skirt Day. It doesn't really work to well in the real world...and I can't wear most of my skirts to work either... oh well... it is days like these that makes me miss college the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment