Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tooth hurty

Today I had a dentist appointment and so of course it rained. I started to go to the dentist again when I began my current job -- prior to that I accidently took about a 3-4 year sabbatical from regular professional teeth cleaning. Yes, I realize that isn't a great thing to admit, but I only had one cavity when I went to see the dentist, so that shows I have good hygiene, yes?


This morning I had to get up extra early to make the trek to the dentist. Out of the five times I've gone I have only been able to do the 2 mile walk from my house once, every other time the T has been used as the weather has worked against me. But almost every time I have walked back to my office, as waiting for the bus in the rain is - in my opinion at least - worse than walking in it.

My dentist is very prompt and very quick, I very much admire him for this - I never have to wait. The visit was over in about 20 minutes! W00t!

He started with asking me if I had any concerns and I said I was convinced I had cavities but I followed this statement with an explaination that when I get stressed I often convince myself of ailments like this. Additionally, I have also been hanging out with dentists more regularly and so I have been exposed to many cavity and other dental procedural talk. He said that things had been good last time I was there so he hoped my concerns were for nothing.

After the first once over, he said everything looked fine and explained that the sensitivity I had mentioned was most likely due to the stress. He further explained that tooth sensitivity can be related to teeth grinding or clenching. Just hearing him mention the word stressed caused me to clench my jaw. Diagnosis confirmed.

I was warned that there is the possibility of a cavity growing between my last two teeth so I should make more of an effort to floss. He said the same thing last time. So I'm not too worried. Don't get me wrong, I will try to floss - at least for the next month or so before I forget about it again.

And for the record I immediately stopped at the DD and got an iced coffee and chocolate glazed doughnut for breakfast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment