Wednesday, April 22, 2009

USA got a make over. His name is Obama

NPR had an article today that talked about how countries outside of the US are responding in a friendly manner to visiting American citizens. It has been noted in the past that American tourists are not always the most well received, particularly in countries in the Middle East. In the article written by Ron Elving entitled "Obama's Attempt to Transform America's Image" he talks about his recent travels and interactions with local people. He explains how people now hear "American" and respond with "Obama". They are excited about what he represents and the changes he has spoken about these last few months as our President. The article also touches on his desire to eliminate torture as a means of interrigation.

But the old anger and resentment may fade with time. And the Obama White House can chart its new course toward world approval only so long as no new terrorist attack strikes the homeland. If one does, Cheney's attitude will be back with a vengeance.


It is interesting to know that our current President is making this kind of impact. In the span of a few months, America has begun to get a facelift and appear to be friendly and nice...Were our former Presidents unfriendly? I thought Bill was supposed to be super charming. Maybe that was just me... But I hope that the article wasn't a fluke, and things are shaping up. One woman was quoted "I don't have to pretend to be Canadian any more." (I really hate it when people say stuff like that...it is just rude)

On a funny side note, I feel like you may have gotten the hint that I kind of love Google Image, and so you will appreciate the image I found when searching "friendly USA". I had hoped for a picture of a smiling map or something. I got her -- oh the internet

I also feel like I should disclose that I found this article by following NPR on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment