Thursday, April 9, 2009

My kind of town

Instead of getting the sleep I need I feel like I need to give this blog some attention. Let's start with the San Fransisco trip...

My friend L who I was visiting lives in one of the best neighborhoods. She is in the middle of the Mexican section so there were these great bakeries everywhere. I ate pastries every day. And there were tons of small wonderful places to get cheap tacos and pupusas. Pupusas are basically like mexican calzones - cheese and meat wrapped in dough...looks like a stuffed pancake. Oh I would be so fat and happy there. :) This place was more than just good food.

The buildings are all covered in these awesome murals. It was crazy some of the stuff that would be put in them. The one to the right here was one I hadn't even noticed until my third day walking around. Yeah, how I missed this thing is beyond me too.





This one is my favorite buildings on the street that we had to walk down to get to the BART (its like a cross between the T and the commuter line) I don't quite understand why they second floor is covered in pictures of carp with a 99 cent sign but I feel like you don't questions things in San Francisco.


Oh yeah, and lets not forget the best delivery truck ever...



The neighborhood was a ton of fun to walk around in. This was a mecca for places where the owners thought, "hmmm I think having only one purpose to my building would be boring, let's make this a one stop place for people who have a few errands to complete". One example would be the video rental that has its own post office inside of it. After you pick out the movie you want to rent the clerk can then walk down to the other end of the counter and sell you stamps or weight your package. Later on, down the street, you may be thinking to yourself, "hmmm I'd really love to buy a new motorcycle. Too bad I didn't get a cup of coffee yet because I am too tired to drive one home" Well have no fear, the bike java shop is here just for you! I couldn't make this up if I tried!

The only bad part of her immediate neighborhood was that everything closed at 9 pm. But, hey, it was like being back home so it didn't really bother me too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment