Monday, April 20, 2009

Time and Half my ....

When I first started working in the Boston area I worked in the financial district. We rarely had holidays. At first my father pointed out that Massachusetts had its own special holiday "Patriots' Day". It is comparable to VJ Day in the simple way that it would seem that only one state out of fifty acknowledges it. If you are unfamiliar of this holiday, you clearly have never lived in RI. I was pretty excited to know that Massachusetts had a holiday no one else celebrates. Sadly, as Patriots' Day aka Marathon Monday approached in 2007 I still had to go to work.

Super Bummer.

I switched jobs shortly after - for reasons other than holidays - to academia. Surely, I would get this fabled holiday off now!!!

WRONG!

I have since learned that only those on the actual marathon route seem to get the day off. Which mainly is due to the fact that employees would never make into work.

I guess I will just have to get a job out there on the Green Line. Until then, I will be heading into work - with no time and half mind you - on future Patriots' Days to come. Sigh...


PS - Congrats on all who completed the course.

1 comment:

  1. And people who work in Ipswich, it seems, which is about 30 miles from the marathon.

    ReplyDelete