Sunday, April 12, 2009

Quick Fix?

I drove home to RI on Friday morning and the Powerball billboard outside of Providence said that the jackpot was down to $20 million. Personally, I don't feel like I would want to bother with purchasing a ticket until the pot was at least up to $80 mill...that's just me. But today the pot was already up to $25 million.

In 48 hours it jumped $5 million. And over a holiday weekend no less! I guess Easter isn't for everyone and even for those that do celebrate it, it is just one day, but I was still shocked at the jump.

Honestly, I don't completely understand how the economy works, but I can't imagine that the lotto really does much to help with the recession - there is no real investment going on but then again I am clueless about this. (If I am wrong please let me know, I'd really like to learn) But my thought was simple; how about if people quit with the powerball tickets and take that money and use it to help turn around this shitty situation. It isn't a very helpful thought as I don't know what else an individual is going to do with $5 -- which is why I need some help with this one.


5 million dollars.

48 hours.

Crazy man.

1 comment:

  1. NC, SC, GA and I think even TN all have Powerball set up a little bit different. When someone wins, 30 - 50% of the "winnings" is taken as a form of tax which then is used to fund scholarships for students who attend in state schools. These scholarships are known as "Lottery Scholarships," which I originally thought meant that the recipients were selected at random. Go figure!

    That's my Higher Ed nerd moment.

    ReplyDelete