Thursday, April 16, 2009

Breaking News!


Ashton Kutcher is first to reach 1 million followers in Twitter contest with CNN. (I thought the picture above would pair wonderfully with the headline)

I know you all feel more relaxed to know this. I had this breaking news delivered to me via my CNN email subscription. Generally, I get notifications of political deaths, war, tragedies, causality counts, etc. Major news points that most people would find useful to know. How did this make my breaking news???

Since the subject of Twitter was broached, I feel like I should remind you all of the article that the Daily Mail put out about how studies found that services such as Twitter (and even facebook) are making our population immoral. The studies used explain how the abundance of information that is throw at an individual who uses these networks is so large and so fast that the person does not have the proper time to react emotionally.

A great example is reading through the main page on facebook and making quick note of people's statuses. These are examples from Wednesday morning that I saw myself

A.'s status of R.I.P. Gramma funeral
which was followed up with
R's status of fudging up natzi zombies, on world of war call of duty, i love my x box lol. PEACE!

A person doesn't have time to react to A's loss before reading R's random personal fact. It doesn't help matters that 8 hours later A updated her status to say "thankful I have a computer once again" minimizing any impact her previous statement may have hoped to have given that it was quickly replaced with a materialistic statement.

Well, whether or not the studies are true, they do make for an interesting discussion. A follow up article was written online and posted on walletpop.com claiming the Daily Mail's was not based on science...this appears to be someone's blog while the Daily Mail is a UK publication, but I am not arguing which side would be more accurate by any means.

1 comment:

  1. Another fun fact about Ashton's one million people. Electronic Arts would give the millionth (that's a word?) person a copy of every single video game they made during the 2009 year. (since they're a big company, its quite a lot)

    Ok.. Nerd moment over... back to work...

    ReplyDelete