Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tale of Two Ribs


Thursday before the Ballet we decided to eat at Rock Bottom. This decision was made mainly because our first choice appeared to be closed. I was in the mood for protein, even though my body wanted veggies like you wouldn't believe, and decided to go with the half rack of ribs. Let me just say, these ribs left much to be desired. First off, they were hard to separate. Good ribs should just breakaway from the pack without a fight. These, however, required the use of the steak knife and I had to cut all the way through from end to end. If I tried to just cut a bit and rip the rest of the way, nothing happened. The meat just didn't give. Not only that, but the ribs were kind of fatty AND not saucy enough. The menu had no indication that they were dry-rubbed and so I anticipated much more or a wet mess. In the end, the ribs left me rather disappointed. Thankfully the lemon drop martini was well done...

Now last night, I went to Redbones. I had finished bowling two games (I scored a 106 the first time, the second score doesn't matter because I won the first game) and was going to head over to the Burren once I ate. Bowling had caused me to work up quite an appetite, but since we waited so long to go to dinner I ended up just eating cornbread, hushpuppies, the Perfect Rib (3 babyback ribs) and some mac & cheese. These ribs were exactly what I was looking for - I opted for the side of sweet bbq sauce to drench them in. The meat just fell right off. They were soooo delish. I can't wait to go back and have a whole rack :) Really, these have to be the best ribs I have had up here in Boston so far.

I have been eating racks of ribs since I was 10. I find that they are a great food and are just so amazingly good if done correctly. I am always on the look out for a great BBQ place. If you have any other suggestions that could beat out Redbones let me know!

PS - just so you know Redbones can cater events for 10-10,000 people. They have great range

No comments:

Post a Comment