Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Doll

Barbie has turned 50! Originally based on a sex toy - "a gag doll for men" - she has taken the world by storm and become a cultural icon. I will admit that I collected Barbie Dolls as a young adult. I had about 15-20 before I lost interest. Grecian Goddess, Bo-Peep, Barbie of the 20's and 30's, the Original Black Dress and microphone, and those were just the beginning. She is rather addictive.






I can't believe she is based off of a sex toy. No, I can. Everyone knows her proportions are unrealistic and just plain ridiculous. Cindy Jackson seems to think otherwise. She has had over 50 procedures done to change her look. I'll give it to her, she has put in a lot of effort to change her face and body, and she does look rather Barbie like, but it is also unnerving.








While Cindy may have some issues that need to be worked out, I will stand firm on the idea that we do not need to blame girl's eating disorders on her. Yes, she is unrealistic, but most girls use Barbie as a character in telling stories or to shave her head. I really don't feel like Barbie scarred me and caused body-esteem issues. I'm pretty sure TV, movies and fashion magazines did that. Just kidding...kind of.

No comments:

Post a Comment