Sunday, March 1, 2009

Wig-gity Wack


At brunch today the topic of conversation landed on hair. But not how to have healthy hair, rather we began talking about what kind of people have the most hair, which then went into wondering how wigs are made. A large number of the females at brunch had donated to Locks of Love (some of us had done it more than once :) not to toot my own horn but I donated twice) which was pretty cool.

The average scalp has 100,000 hairs. Redheads have the least at 80,000; brown and black haired persons have about 100,000; and blondes have the most at 120,000. There you go, another plus for blondes. But this does make me wonder the number of hairs I have as I was once angelically blonde and now not so much...

You must lose over 50% of your scalp hairs before it is apparent to anyone. I feel like this fact is no so true...I mean men with bald spots on the crown of their head clearly have no hair there. Overall, they have more than 50%. This fact should be amended to 50% within a specific area. Just saying....

It takes about 6 to 10 ponytails to make a wig. I really thought you would be able to make a wig out of one donated ponytail as the tail has the same number of hairs in it that are currently on my head. But this just proves that I would be a terrible wig maker.

Finally as it turns out, if your wig is made from curly human hair, you do need to put it in curlers to keep the shape.

It really can be fun finding useless pieces of information like this. This was a wonderful way to spend a half hour :)

No comments:

Post a Comment