Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lucky Jeans and a H&M tank

This title is obviously a play on one of the best Chick Lit books that I have found and shared this past year, Target Underwear and a Vera Wang Gown*. The main character goes through her closet and each piece of clothing reminds her of a story of her life growing up. Personally, I have some clothes that are from as far back as 2nd grade (pink minnie mouse t-shirt from disney). I also have sweatpants, sweatshirts, and t-shirts that I inherited from my father that are even older than I am (one sweatshirt is from his trip to Ireland that he took in COLLEGE with the rugby team). Interest of full disclosure this is not my closet --->

Today I was wearing a bunch of pieces that reminded me of recent events, I kind of have been revamping my wardrobe so sadly not as many old memories to share on a daily basis. What started the revamping was this past spring/summer I finally came to terms with what size I really was. Some people are in denial and buy clothes that make them look like sausages thinking they are the same size they were in high school. I have the opposite problem. My mother trained my sister and I with the idea that we will probably grow tomorrow. So always buy a size up. Once you stop growing, this causes one to just buy clothing that is just plain too big.

Well, this spring I realized I might just be a bit smaller than I thought. I went to Lucky Jeans - one my personal indulgences - and decided that I owed myself a new pair. I asked the store clerk for a pair one size smaller than I usually go. She told me to take a size TWO sizes smaller. I laughed at her. She said, no really try them on. I told I would, just to show her she was crazy. Let the record show, she was right. I had never worn pants this small in my entire life. This moment helped me reevaluate what I really looked like. I have always been comfortable about who I am as a person, I was even awarded a "I like myself" ribbon. But most people feel awkward about their appearance. I am no exception. But that weekend was the beginning of a change in my life. I have become more and more comfortable about myself and have become less critical. I mean I am not delusional, I still consider myself quite average, but now at least I feel average, before I felt less than. WHOA, this is getting personal. But so yeah, that was the story of the pants.

You may have gathered, I wear tons of layers. My sweater today was one I got from Old Navy - I think. It's a couple of years old, maybe, and I like it mainly because it has a hood. I will wear most anything that has a hood, can't explain why. But this piece makes me think of one of my best college friends. Simply because not only does she also own it - we did not purchase them together - but we also have a tendency to wear them on the same day. It can be awkward. You know what they say, great minds think alike :)

The tank top is from H&M. I got it just over a month ago. I needed something fun to wear to the battle of the bands. I was hoping to channel my inner b. spears and needed something to punk up my school girl skirt. A friend of mine went shopping with me and we found this great gray tank. We had so much fun looking through H&M together. That store normally really overwhelms me but that afternoon it was so simple. We had a ton of fun bonding that day and I think it really helped our firendship along. I feel really good when I wear the tank. It is so simple, but the gray and black lace just do something that causes me to look, for lack of a better word, hot. I normally don't like tight clothing, but this is so comfortable I think it might become a standard part of my wardrobe.

Oh, speaking of the battle of the bands night, the band I was cheering for, The Ben Kultgen Band, will be playing at the finals at the Paradise on April 14th...come watch and cheer them one! I'm fairly certain they are awesome and I hope to maybe drink a little bit less so I actually remember more about their music, all I can remember about the two shows I've seen is that I had a great time... I think after three shows I can consider myself a groupie - which would let me cross one more thing off my life list :)

I like that my clothes hold memories. It is like walking around with a set of photographs.

*If you want to borrow the book let me know. It is currently in RI but I should be able to retrieve it when I head home for Easter

No comments:

Post a Comment